7 Point Saturday 10/19/19 👨🏻💻
The most interesting things I got into this past week.
1. What I’m thinking about is the idea of happiness and how to make it possible. What I learned from my studies is it takes practice. It’s not what happens to you, it’s the how happiness happens. Three ways the research tells me impacts happiness. The first two we really don’t have much control or don’t impact it as great as the third. The first is we’re predisposition genetically to be happy at times. The second, and it’s impact is small even thought we think otherwise, is the things around us like money, looks, what we have, etc. The third, and biggest decider of our happiness is how emulating the habits of people that are happy. It’s the how we go after happiness with intentionality.
2. Book I am super excited to get into that just went live this past Tuesday by Simon Sinek, The Infinite Game is out! I’ve been waiting patient for this one to add to my fall reading goals. We play life/work like it has an end. It doesn’t. So how do we play a game that has no end? He explores this idea which is something that you can use to tackle our most challenging obstacles that come in front of us. You can find the e-book version here: https://books.apple.com/gb/book/the-infinite-game/id1380503127
3. Did some research on sleep since I’ve been trying to wake up earlier and adjust my sleep cycle by getting up at 5:30 AM each day versus my usual 6:30 AM. There’s this idea that if I can start my day before the rest of the world gets a piece of me, I’ll be happier because I’ll have done things that I want to do. I’ve been a little tired to say the least. This brings me to the point of sleep deprivation that I dived into this week. Did you know just 24 hours of no sleep can have irrevocably negative health impacts to us? Me either. Our ability to create memories gets smaller with each hour lacking in sleep we create. At one point, all together, your mind will just not create them any more. Which is why long nights of partying, we never remember what we did or how certain things happened the next day.
4. How to be a good digital citizen? Great podcast I happened upon while getting ready one of my mornings. Note To Self is one I listen to every now and again. Really good. There’s this idea that our digital spaces are not free as we think. There is a cost. How do we minimize it and put forward a positive approach to being a good digital citizen. Here it is: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/note-to-self/id561470997?i=1000453416709
5. Studying up on the work for the next podcast on recuperation I ran into a solid study on techniques to help you reboot your body. There were about 30 I felt had any weight to them and stood up to the rigors of science. The top four for me came down to unhealthy eating, elimination of chronic inflammation, not balancing our hormones due to imbalance in our diets, and poor physical training plans. Find out how to enhance your performance or health here: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/fat-loss-articles/30-ways-to-reboot-your-body/
6. Want to have someone change their perspective and see things from a different lens? I did too. Looking to enhance my skills of influencing I ran into this piece that helped me understand how to create a safe space to explore perspectives. You want the other person to be comfortable with exploring the negative emotions that come from throwing them into something uncomfortable with a different perspective. Check it out: https://mkbconseil.ch/eec28-getting-beyond-the-discomfort-zone-with-marcia-reynolds/
7. University On the Go. I’ve been filling this week during my routines (brushing teeth, drives, showers, commutes, cleaning up the house) where I can put a podcast or something like an audio book to learn while I move through the routine. I can honestly share I am learning things. I’m getting to books I wasn’t able to physically read through audio. I’m catching up on podcasts that have been sitting in my library to listen too. It’s been awesome! I didn’t realize how much I can learn in-between these routines. How much time do we simply waste because we don’t see that time as a time to learn while doing something else like sitting in a 45 minute car ride as learning time? Think about your routines around the home. Any of them you can pop in some headphones to listen while you piddle around? Try it out and let me know what you get.
That’s your 7 for today and this past week. Click and check them out. Let me know what you might be finding on your own. Love to learn from you too.
Leave a Reply