7 Point Saturday 11/30/19
Sorry I missed last weekend. I made this one really good and some of the best from two weeks ago and this past week. I hope you enjoy them. Most are only about a 5 minute read or less.
1. An interesting article and obscure way at earning some pennies using a very interesting skill. Dare to click in to the commerce of Amazon here and get your Mechanical Turk on: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/15/nyregion/amazon-mechanical-turk.html
2. I’ve spent about three years learning and practicing mindfulness. One of the best things that it can do is make you more open and willing to help. Here’s a perspective of that idea in the professional space: https://www.smartbrief.com/original/2019/11/being-mindful-can-make-you-more-generous-your-colleagues?utm_source=brief
3. Do we honestly know how long it could take before we burned out from not enough sleep at night? This article tries to figure that. Part science. Part something else. Everyone needs a different level of sleep so it’s not one size fits all. And, it’s not always about sleep that helps you to avoid burnout you may need. Here’s the dive: https://lifehacker.com/how-much-rest-you-need-to-prevent-burnout-1839980915
4. I’ve been really curious about how the mind works as you might have guest from this past week’s regular piece about developing inner excellence. Our conscious minds and unconscious minds in particular are really interesting to me. How deep does the conscious mind really go? How does it impact our biases towards humanity? Here’s a 5 minute peak into an idea of how deep: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/consciousness-goes-deeper-than-you-think
5. Everyone can relate to an inner demon that they may have or have had. Do we really ever get rid of them or just suppress them? Parts of our identities and mental DNA that are just behind the curtain of our awareness aren’t something we can always suppress or should. Then a trigger brings them raging to the front. This one shares on how to cope and deal when this does happen. Even perhaps being proactive in preventing an episode before it can become damaging. We don’t want to fully get rid of them, because our inner demons can sometimes be a good thing. This was one of my favorites from this past week: https://markmanson.net/how-to-overcome-your-demons
6. Now that we’ve wrestled with our inner demons, it’s time to beat stress to death. Nice 2 minute read here from Inc. Magazine I enjoyed a bit. Don’t get rattled, get in touch with your breathing. It’s that simple. Check it out here: https://www.inc.com/melody-wilding/beat-stress-like-a-navy-seal-with-this-ridiculousl.html
7. So we’ve covered stress. We’ve covered how to live with our inner demons and be nice to them. How about dealing with our darkest emotions? Burying them as I have learned is not the thing we should be doing to cope. Here’s three ways: https://qz.com/1034450/accepting-your-darkest-emotions-is-the-key-to-psychological-health/
That’s my 7 for this past week. I hope you can find time this holiday weekend to check some of them out. Let me know which ones might have been your favs in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!