Good evening. Welcome to your 7 point list for the next week to enjoy. This one is interesting. I was all over the place with my interest this past week. Sorry about the trip you’re about to get into with your curiosity. Sometimes I wonder what deep subliminal darkness is going on in my head. This is kind of what my map looked like this past week.
One apology, no coffee this week. Instead, what’s in my glass is a classic brew of a different sort called Party Wolf. You can find it in Sawyer, MI at Greenbush Brewery. Solid IPA offering. I’ve hit them up twice for this one bringing in my trusty growler to be refilled each time. Again, just like the coffee, Greenbush in no way is paying me for this shout out. I just enjoy them, think they create a great experience in Sawyer, MI. So, they deserve the recognition for the tasty art they provide. Let’s get into that list!
- The Rise (8min) The first one is a doozy. Sorry about that. It’s a fictional piece of Sci-Fi and not real. But, plausible in our not to distant future. Read it from that angle. https://email.mg2.substack.com/c/eJxVkEtuxCAMQE8Tdo34JpkFi256jYiAm6BJAIHpKLcvkyyqSlhIfmD72RqENeZTp1iQ1AJ59k4LRSVljDgtHZvURHyZvzPAYfyuMVcgqS67twZ9DNcHJoQkmx64mKwFEM4Nwo3jYxwXJrmyg3kwtQzk3WY21XkIFjT8QD5jALLrDTGVTnx2_KudC-Dmw9qXuhQ09tnbeDSSWmTf8Ef2pXHiNaecMsoV45RK1bM-MC-m7ZGfppP0WPm_GiTrZGypoWzmFdqD9W11kSY1t_uoweM5QzDLDu72xXtB1_h4JtABXmUHRMh3si2hifJhVANp7VxsVYP-8_gFiQd8Iw
- Shut Up Shawn (10min) I have a really hard time active listening. Many people might tell you the opposite of that when it comes to how good or not I am at listening. But, that could be because I have to work hard every time to not interrupt someone talking. You see, I love to solve things or others. When you can master the listening to learn, versus respond, you can change the world. Check it out, listen: https://email.getpocket.com/ls/click?upn=ky17TgJ1REx4YaZOG279kWAUuQZ5pZjPBxpwW4sdX1OPji0GeinzXk9LgJsyyogKL4xc_ImJSAUyAltbIQfdE35jXaUFTRxOVEm9afsWk03WoRRoU96igMjV-2B1-2BvzMg2ZX6YH6sFJYIZwR8Lu8vo30qpbB1Q0iZke-2F-2FxkhtMok3CDJHxtejJfLTRj-2Fs8RMa91FB88U-2FrXkt2eJpianGeeCIOooFbq1qfV2-2FGyo1QNCO45CA-2FWh704MEdWnReb-2Bw-2BSLKNMtM2Wo-2Fvjw8KRNtTkdSa8zUdStZIo4MCmDIWIb1ClUWBu5kqvRN8px2rjLmKoSZfM4NqXN53lZxuWQ3r2bNTggmquGBx6coxn5rkxUi8syF3rmQYE5YSvdeyFMFxCZQakjWLxPqcSXlPeLOg1QyjKI7gIBV8605zLiLXL9qC93LDsPW5eyJGJAAx5nuPkO3KRqwkNrWibRdoNuOeHa-2BZMJw-3D-3D
- Me Midwesterner (28min) Super long one. Usually don’t post reads to the list that are over 10 minutes long whenever possible. But this one, is worth it. And, if you’re from the midwest, pretty sure you’ll understand this one. Welcome to middle earth: https://email.getpocket.com/ls/click?upn=ky17TgJ1REx4YaZOG279kUc-2B1jacksbt-2FMsMW8yqOwHpedxv1kpe3W6keg0K3I0oBW1Z_ImJSAUyAltbIQfdE35jXaUFTRxOVEm9afsWk03WoRRoU96igMjV-2B1-2BvzMg2ZX6YH6sFJYIZwR8Lu8vo30qpbB1Q0iZke-2F-2FxkhtMok3CDJHxtejJfLTRj-2Fs8RMa91FB88U-2FrXkt2eJpianGeeCIOooFbq1qfV2-2FGyo1QNCO45CA-2FWh704MEdWnReb-2Bw-2BSLKNMVLnXpYzTf4HeneZCJlSDCf5B6bN9qkqW-2BEHpcPRqIohTSsyW0HPGFAHcFGfoVxlYwr6oxlaKGDHtAYaShwbYsALHoLKxhYuMoqCsONNVNKVK5Rk2PVGlA2dqgGjB8nc76TrQv9oinqrgUDctri-2Fu6keJq1B5S2lsQAlZNL8nRxGKIn1lb72DchC7J3pMevTjkPkODNw44am-2B45SChh8ypA-3D-3D
- The Mask (2min) No not the comic book or even the Jim Carrey movie The Mask. This one actually we should all have on our face at any time in public spaces. Are we headed for a mask mandate? We might need to as more mask wearing has proven to reduce 19. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/10/23/pandemic-data-chart-masks/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https://s2.washingtonpost.com/car-ln-tr/2c4b72b/5f92fd6e9d2fda0efb521285/5f388f70ae7e8a549aed5cbc/8/71/6bcb4f8f9647a9993ef4a706aebfadcb
- From the Archives: How to Overcome Your Demons (12min) Another long one. But, thought I would tweak out my lists a little different. I’ll randomly pop one or two in here from saves that I’ve had from over the years. I catalog and keep only the biggest ones that impact my life in some way. This is one. We all have a demon or two. Overcoming them has the potential to unlock our true selves, most optimal selves, our best selves. Find your way: https://markmanson.net/how-to-overcome-your-demons
- Another Way (6min) Misinformation is getting harder to figure out. Some would like to vaporize misinformation, but misinformation is going to out live everyone. It will always propagate. But, we can mitigate it by teaching future generations how to recognize it, think for themselves, to stay curious enough to say, “that doesn’t seem right.” Here’s what you can do: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/23/opinion/truth-media-teach-young.html
- Longreads (How much time do you have?) Sometimes the 7 I stumble on is not enough. Some like to reach beyond, some like to have more. These 5 are for you. My 2 stand outs? The Island That Humans Can’t Conquer and The COVID Cruise Ship and the Maine Fishing Town. Go long: https://longreads.com/2020/10/23/the-top-5-longreads-of-the-week-345/
Feels good to get this to you on time. Tried for Saturday, but the forces that be, just weren’t. Hope you have an amazing week! Enjoy a read a day with your own favorite drink, taking a break from the grind. It’s so good to just tap out, tap in to something different.