Morning and welcome to the 3rd day of 2021! My cup of joe this morning, like other favorite cups I’ve had, was a gift this Christmas. Today’s cup comes from a local place in Lansing, MI called Paramount Coffee Company. It’s called Ho-Ho-Home for the Holidays. Perfect cup for a holiday blend with notes of sweet vanilla and nutmeg. Taste like hot egg-nog with out the creaminess. I’m going to make this one last for a minute. It is a great blend to warm up to or read a book to when the weather is just straight crap.
Here’s our list this morning for the first week of 2021. Again, as usual, no rhyme or reason to the list as I collected it. It’s just what stuck this past week from my meandering. We will review it once we get through the list together. Lets get started.
- Self-Talk (12min) I’m sure a lot of us might be in this space with resolutions or whatever is really kicking us in the teeth to move forward with that’s difficult in work/life. Learning why or how to talk to yourself in third person is a skill. Here’s one from VICE to check out: https://email.getpocket.com/ls/click?upn=ky17TgJ1REx4YaZOG279kTC8FrH7POFHnwr8k5rN5IMbW7gKUHlQ5psvZUvp-2FnH-2FIwvl_PHOmiF2WICAvZHAAPZXMgWOz6MXxBKQNVj7K9BDTpXLaj8wX2J896B7v4ccBQz0yxfsti00SYLRWDGhN4C3AIFJbBvNhew9jGXuxycCyYr8C8c37GWfpE8bS8ehqyZBrNe8MK1GYx5x2WyAeYlbRE4Vyb-2BIWFyiCuCa7Nw2HRQzHZrv6hTmEfIaz1oi9X-2BZF6WeI1edzhAGdyvnm8uJdOnlmZpaX3-2BunaNo9gs5HrlG9U84Vdyfkk-2BaaP5A6ZzAn73NwiANpv8mu3y-2BgUXukN-2FMfh6JN1dwtBoYHz9fdgxvQ55xd5X5mH3v2bWavEmzqteUAiLjFzi-2Bk2IcZSjNEiSgm6TpWiEZ1nUoL0B9K3GBq7pNqIEzgmfj0LfV8h9w0
- Praise (2min) A very short one. It’s focused on work life, but I believe that it can save someone’s life if you adapt it into your personal arsenal to help someone out. The type of praise to be aware of is important too. What you think is praise, is not to the receiver of it. Praise be: https://heleo.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a6579e21df5f4156ea7a7c3bb&id=a4204373ec&e=090cce7857
- Depression (2min) This is a short animated film on depression and what it takes to recover the “light of being” for some. Not something you read as a normal find, but watch. Write down your feelings after watching it. Who do you know that needs your help finding their light? Maybe that person might be you? https://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=f35428ab28&e=4faf519eed
- Just Listen (7min) You ever been that person who someone came too and they just vented on you? Then you felt this need to fix them? Well don’t fix them. Most of the time, they are not wanting to be solved, they want to be heard. Here’s how you can be better at listening: https://adamgrant.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a63d6b9b98ca61bee8d6e4953&id=642fa72264&e=ccf02ee6b5
- Bored Much? (15min) Another VICE article, this one on boredom. We are terrible at it. We need to do it more. We freak out when we find ourselves bored. But, we find ourselves restless. Then we pick up the nearest newsfeed we can get our hands on to begin doom-scrolling. Here’s how we can get better at boredom and why we should: https://email.getpocket.com/ls/click?upn=ky17TgJ1REx4YaZOG279kR0E8sxF3xU8rzzl8ex0IVEV3N1pnzM4df-2B8YOHdKBRlYU92_ImJSAUyAltbIQfdE35jXaUFTRxOVEm9afsWk03WoRRoU96igMjV-2B1-2BvzMg2ZX6YH6sFJYIZwR8Lu8vo30qpbB1Q0iZke-2F-2FxkhtMok3CDJHxtejJfLTRj-2Fs8RMa91FB888jClwZXE2uAyJ4a63v3m-2BjB00MSn9tah-2Bw7EtK13bb6jbubUtXKzT3nqEpU6012t0A859PzmOIaZG0z45GxdrTFjsbeXPOkjBiortz2kNy4ZvHZle7pvVvT1hBohxuI8HiqwQ03ojbsFVT6-2FFwSjDo-2FRWpw3VVAYdHUWu02rhULpPSuhRLUR1vO-2BYzcMu8Spc4nVEnSdEFRZZQHRAtYXoabjJcunQAg2HSiMcmb9o0nnFX-2FTTELtsrVtCcbERyHWzxz00fUl4aSmVkyrt9b3iA-3D-3D
- Want It? Or Need It? (3min) My apologies if this is a repeat from last post, but I think it’s fitting more to this week. After the holiday season I find myself wrapped up in this want or need trap. This helped me gain some perspective on it: https://email.getpocket.com/ls/click?upn=ky17TgJ1REx4YaZOG279kd74AIZZyf8Jy1DOuqX0zCdFAru9mdc8tWk2dhHD-2BsmTbjok_ImJSAUyAltbIQfdE35jXaUFTRxOVEm9afsWk03WoRRoU96igMjV-2B1-2BvzMg2ZX6YH6sFJYIZwR8Lu8vo30qpbB1Q0iZke-2F-2FxkhtMok3CDJHxtejJfLTRj-2Fs8RMa91FB881xHZ-2BRxLJb2DJg5Ry8DcvxMEq9owG616haGDze8JHwVIHL-2FF-2FvIW1L6NybSmQrBRMqcnZHVctCPNrxUK-2BSRs-2BA2xjmiFngBrktLp-2Fgvi41G-2F9mnogjMKA-2Bb7wpFWRMHsfBy65u1A-2BIfeWhUrTTo08h0sukx0pxQZk8dG-2BGKUXlEZsqVouJXw7KbqfM6Avt4pdJd2q5fKPnUaTiP7V-2FXxlI8Ctimgnz9KAKK-2FMPqNOmwwc8zSfJqF2g5BijxQqAwfpEbAibysSSVKYgfMbdPxuQ-3D-3D
- Hurt (2min) Another great article on the radical act of letting a friend hurt. Again, the thing we want to jump to here is solving their hurt, when it’s not ours to solve. Here’s how to resist that urge to fix someone, just hear them out: https://brainpickings.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=13eb080d8a315477042e0d5b1&id=5dbeffae00&e=4faf519eed
I hope you enjoyed the list. Now that I wrote it out here, it does have this theme of either helping someone overcome the new year ahead, or helping yourself be more resilient going into the new year ahead. Whatever that looks like for you, I hope 2021 is the year of change you want it to be. It’s my hope 2021 will be how we take what we learned in 2020, moving into 2021 as an accelerant. If you made it through 2020, you have momentum at your disposal. Lean into it!
Leave a Reply